A lot of people like to talk about Office Communications Server 2007 R2. Currently I haven’t any information about the features which are included right in the box of OCS2007R2. Looking at the weblog of Rasmus we see some new features that will come in the upcoming version (R2). The information he provide is second hand information and not confirmed by Microsoft. Underneath a short overview:
- one number calling source: Rasmus “It has been introduced in the original Unified Communications wave in the fall of 2007, but in the R2 build, it should be here. What to expect is not to say, but as I understand it will be a more simplified process of calling UC enabled users. I expect there to be more logic in OCS to how one person can be contacted”
- LiveMeeting dial-in source: Rasmus: “is another requested feature, which should allow users to have a choice of using the LiveMeeting client audio or dialing direct to the meeting to get Audio access.
We will see more presence information in more applications”
- application sharing in CWA source: Rasmus: “The Communicator Web Access will be upgraded to allow application sharing the within the web application (however this is done…..)”
- attendant console source: Rasmus: “We are also looking at an “attendant console” which will be some kind of switchboard for forwarding calls and so on. This is a feature often used by a front desk or service desk, and will give them the joy of presence information and VoIP”
- telephony queue system source: Rasmus: “Also a telephony queue system should be included, and will give people dialing in to the system, access to a touchtone menu to have their calls forwarded to the right department/person and so on”
The upcoming OCS2009 version is really cool but in my opinion still under NDA. But for me in particular, as weblog owner we will publish additional articles on OCS2009 as we have privileges to do that. From now on wait for the upcoming OCS2007R2! Stay tuned and please make sure you communicate unified and simplified.