Knowledge Base (KB) Articles:
The Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Best Practices Analyzer Tool is a diagnostic tool that gathers configuration information from a Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 environment and determines whether the configuration is set according to Microsoft best practices. You can install the tool on a client computer that runs Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, or on a server that runs Office Communications Server 2007.
Note: Although you can install the Office Communications Server 2007 Best Practices Analyzer directly on the computer that runs Office Communications Server 2007 Server, we recommend that you install and run this tool on a client computer.
The tool uses set of configuration files to gather information from the Office Communications Server 2007 environment. It compares this data against a set of pre-defined rules for Office Communications Server 2007, and reports potential issues. For every issue reported, the tool provides the current configuration in the Office Communications Server 2007 environment, and the recommended configuration.
With the proper network access, the tool can examine your Active Directory and Office Communications Server 2007 servers to do the following:
- Proactively perform health checks, verifying that the configuration is set according to recommended best practices
- Generate a list of issues, such as suboptimal configuration settings or unsupported or not recommended options
- Judge the general health of a system
- Help troubleshoot specific problems
- Prompt you to download updates if they are available
- Provide online and local documentation about reported issues, including troubleshooting tips
- Generate configuration information that can be captured for later review