Introduction: I’m excited to formally introduce Microsoft Lync to the worldwide UC community, the new name for the next generation of the various ‘OCS’ products and services. See the official press release (here). and check also the UC TeamBlog for more background (info). We as MVP’s worked very closely with Microsoft the last months to build up this wonderful product. You can now download the official (RC) Release Candidate and we love to get your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.This is especially useful for the RTM milestone. Would you like to see a full featured demo please feel free to join e-office sometime. Important: There is no product support for this RC. You are welcome to share your trial experiences with others and to ask for advice by participating in the forums.
As soon as we can we are trying to upgrade all UCVUG.nl servers to support this (RC) version of the product. And of course we are trying to get this beast up and running before the next session of UCVUG on 20th of September 2010. See (here) for more information. 120 seats still available (free entrance).
Lync what does it mean?
In that sense, Lync – a combination of “link” and “sync” – is about connecting people in new ways, anytime, anywhere. Now in the most ultimate way.
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010 provides complete presence, instant messaging, conferencing and enterprise voice capabilities through a single, easy-to-use interface that is consistent across PC, browser, and mobile device. You can Architect your deployment for high availability using data center resiliency and survivable branch appliances. Administrators benefit from a single, consistent management infrastructure, new capabilities to increase availability, and interoperability with existing systems. Administrators also use a new PowerShell-based foundation for administration consistent with Exchange Server, Active Directory, and other Microsoft server products.
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Planning Tool (RC) asks you a series of questions about your organization and the features that you are interested in. The planning tool will then use your answers to recommend a topology based on the tested Microsoft Lync Server 2010 user model. Your organization may have a different user model. If so, you should adjust the recommended topology as necessary to fit your organization’s needs.
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Attendee (User) is a conferencing client that allows users without Microsoft Lync 2010 installed, to participate in online meetings. If you are not an administrator on the computer but an administrator has allowed you to perform installations, you can install this application.
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Attendee (Admin) is a conferencing client that allows users without Microsoft Lync 2010 installed, to participate in online meetings. A user with an administrator account on the computer can install Lync 2010 Attendee so that users of the computer can join Microsoft Lync Server 2010-hosted meetings.
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Release Candidate (RC) Download – download (here) 1.6gig
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Planning Tool Release Candidate (RC) – download (here)
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Attendee (RC) - User Level Install – download (here)
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Attendee (RC) - Admin Level Install – download (here)
Important things to know before starting:
- The Release Candidate (RC) is intended for lab use only.
- The RC version of the software will cease to function on or around February 20, 2011.
- This Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Release Candidate includes both editions of the server (Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition), along with the Microsoft Lync 2010 client.
- There is no product support for this RC. You are welcome to share your trial experiences with others and to ask for advice by participating in the forums.
- Supported Operating Systems:Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010 is designed to operate only on x64 platforms.
Source: Microsoft Download